Sunday, May 3, 2009

Doesn't That Make Sense

My family and I were in Tulsa over the weekend, killing time before church yesterday around brunch time walking around the Philbrook area (on Peoria a little ways up from Brookside). There is a wooded area beyond the floral garden My kids were chasing squirrels up trees, running ater them at full speed like they could really catch them. My husband made some off-color joke about half of our children's ancestry (his half) saying Africans have an inbred instinct to hunt...anyway!

Back in the car the girls and their daddy start talking about all the places squirrels can be found. They say squirrels live in Oklahoma. In Virginia. In Texas. Now, Lawrence being himself, he says, "Squirrels don't live in Texas." Lauryn and Ashley both offer a disgusted chorus of, "Uh-huh!" He's tickled as he continues to debate with them about Texas being the lone place in the world where no squirrels can be sited let alone chased.

Exhausted by her dad's opposing opinion Lauryn, my oldest, says, "Squirrels are in Texas because Sandy the Squirrel from Spongebob is from Texas. So that means there are squirrels in Texas."

Lawrence and I shared an "impressed parent" grin. He conceded, "Okay, if Sandy is a squirrel and she is from Texas then I guess there are squirrels in Texas."

Gotta love a child's logic!

*This was originally posted on my (defunct) myspace page 7/8/08

No comments:

Post a Comment