Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Changing Stripes



Dear Dad,

It would seem that it is far easier to change your number than it is to change your stripes. Even easier to tell me that you are going to change your number and neglect to give it to me. Of greatest ease to resurface and then quickly disappear...as quickly as dawn chases away the night. Unfortunately, for me it will not be so easy to console the young version of me that is very much alive in the most vulnerable part of me that still believes in you. That still vehemently grasps tightly to the fairy tale of daddy...the fable right behind Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. As the eldest child I am used to picking up the pieces. I can not afford to remain open. I forgive it all. Even the sins you think I hold against you. Imperfectly perfect, daddy. My heart is closing only because it cannot sustain another injury on top of injury on top of injury, more and more injury. I love you endlessly...The End

No comments:

Post a Comment